JOB POSTING – HORTICULTURIST (ENGLISH PERENNIAL GARDEN)
Department: Horticulture Supervisor: Horticulture Manager Pay Type: Full time, Hourly, Non-exempt Date Posted: December 1, 2021
Application Deadline: December 31, 2021
Position Summary: Specific but not limited to the Tassell-Wisner-Bottrall English Perennial Garden. Performs all duties associated with design, maintenance, and care of collections. Oversees the day-to-day responsibilities of display presentation, plant care, and volunteer assignments. Maintains additional garden areas as directed by Horticulture Lead. Focuses on skills and techniques directly pertaining to each garden area’s aesthetic, paying close attention to details, and maintaining design intent.
• Perform a wide range of plant care and maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants in all assigned areas, including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation, pesticide application, and integrated pest management strategies
• Develop and install horticultural displays: plan, design, select material, place orders, and keep records
• Keep tool storage areas, carts, and other equipment clean, organized, and free of clutter
• Lead and direct the work of others, including other staff and volunteers, to complete general projects
• Work with staff to complete projects in other garden areas
• Work at height (ex. on ladders and in lifts)
• Remove compost and properly place materials for recycling
• Remove snow from paths and roadways; reporting early or staying late and on weekends and holidays as needed
• Interact with and provide interviews/content for TV, social media, radio, etc. and give occasional tours to select groups
• Work with the Communications Department to provide information, especially as it relates to horticultural content and concepts
• Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and treating others with dignity and respect.
• Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests.
• A flexible and collaborative culture is important. Other duties may be assigned within the department as well as across the organization.
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
Education: B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany and/or related field; or any combination of equivalent education, training, and work experience
Experience: Minimum of (2-3) years hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Excellent working knowledge of plant materials and maintenance techniques. Proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment. Ability to obtain and maintain valid driver,
chauffeur, equipment operator, and MI pesticide applicator licenses. Able to pass a respirator fit test as defined by worker protection standards. Proficient experience using Microsoft Office (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word).
• Manual labor in all outdoor weather conditions and greenhouse environments (i.e., temperatures over 100°F and below 0°F, rain, high humidity, snow, full sun, etc.) as well as an office environment.
• Ability to lift up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally move 100+ pounds. (i.e., load, unload, and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools, and equipment)
• Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping, and reaching for extended periods of time– 90% or more of the workday is standing on feet
• Ability to wear Garden-issued Personal Protective Equipment
• Flexible schedule will include some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/ or send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As part of our onboarding process, all new hires are required to complete our background check and
drug screen process, which tests for amphetamines, cocaine, opiates, and phencyclidine.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park promotes the enjoyment, understanding, and appreciation of gardens, sculpture, the natural environment, and the arts.