JOB POSTING – HORTICULTURIST (TURF MAINTENANCE)
Supervisor: Horticulture Manager
Pay Type: Full Time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Last Reviewed: September 2020
Position Summary: Maintain manicured turf in non-contracted areas while taking into consideration the nature of sensitive plant material and structures within these areas. Maintain the input and output of materials in storage building 1 and 2, media storage bins, compost pile, horticulture storage at UAW site, as well as maintain the storage needs in the horticulture maintenance bay. Aid in exhibition and planting changeovers, and irrigation support. Maintain the maintenance building garden area regarding weed control.
• Maintain all aspects of turf maintenance in non-contracted areas including but not limited to; bed edging, mowing, trimming, leaf clean up, sod replacement, cleanup of grass clippings, overall tidiness of the area, etc.
• Lead and maintain a team of seasonal gardeners in all aspects of turf maintenance in non-contracted areas
• Maintain the overall cleanliness and organization of materials stored in storage building 1 and storage building 2, turn-a-round, and UAW site with consideration of seasonal needs, interdepartmental needs, and overall relevance of the material stored. This includes periodic compost removal, nursery plastics recycling, and brush pile chipping.
• Provide irrigation support regarding repair and maintenance as outlined by the horticulture management team
• Assist with horticulture exhibition and seasonal planting changeovers
• Perform a wide range of plant care/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, sod replacement, bed edging, mowing, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation and pesticide application
• Oversee the day-to-day responsibilities of turf presentation, plant care, maintenance issues, and volunteer assignments
• May be responsible for interacting with the media (TV, radio, newspaper, etc) and working with Public Relations to provide information especially as it relates to horticultural content and concepts
• In winter months, plow paths and roadways, shovel snow, report early or stay late and on weekends and holidays as needed
• Remove compost and properly place materials for recycling
• Maintain general care of horticultural tools, and equipment (i.e., apply lubrication and general cleaning. Refer more serious problems to Supervisor.)
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
• Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
Education/Experience: Minimum of 2-3 years’ hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required. B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany, and/or related field. An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Excellent working knowledge of a wide array of plant material and maintenance techniques; proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working with general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions regarding horticulture collection. Must be able to perform tasks independently after being given assignments. Ability to lead and direct the
work of others to complete general projects, including other staff and volunteers is required. Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Access, Excel, Word). Ability to obtain and maintain valid drivers, chauffeurs, equipment operators, and pesticide applicator’s licenses.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions and greenhouse environments (i.e., temperatures over 100°F as well as temperatures below 0°F, in rain, high humidity, snow and other inclement weather conditions) as well as an office environment
• Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
• Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping, and reaching for extended periods of time– 90% or more of the workday is standing on feet
• May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., climb ladders, etc.)
• Ability to wear company-issued Personal Protective Equipment as appropriate
• Schedule will include some evenings, weekends, and holidays
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions with a highly-motivated team…
send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process